This paper focuses on problems concerning the thermal management
when using a fuel cell in a portable device. They can be summarized as
- Heat dissipation is a performance limiting parameter in many portable
- Fuel cell efficiency of ca. 50% increases total thermal load of a
portable device by 80-100%.
- Thus it is a technical challenge that a system with portable fuel cell
remains within allowable operating temperatures.
- A liquid cooling loop is not applicable in miniaturized systems.
- Accurate thermal models are needed to develop the systems integration
of fuel cells.
Future studies will include transient thermal behavior, the influence
of varying ambient temperatures and humidity as well as full systems